Sunday, November 23, 2014

Fabric Finds: Linen Tea towel goodness

OK, so I have been trying to curb my "habit" of buying fabric. During a recent clean out of my workroom, I realised exactly how much fabric I have collected over the years. YIKES.

I decided to not buy anymore fabric until I had used some of my stash for a quilt….. pshuure! That's working out really well….. actually it's not working at all.

So here's what I bought the other day, admittedly three of them are tea towels and may remain in that format, so I've only technically bought 1 piece of fabric ;)

I love vintage linen tea towels, but to be honest I've never found them to be very absorbent and useful in drying dishes - luckily my dishwasher does most of the drying at my house.

Why are tea towels traditionally made from linen? I wonder if it's because linen was traditionally used for dish cloths (you know, for cleaning dishes) because linen is much stronger when wet than when dry? Perhaps it's because many of these souvenir tea towels originated in Ireland which produced it's own linen?

I'm off to research tea towels, hope you enjoy my recent fabric finds!

Vintage Hungarian linen teatowel

Vintage Irish linen tea towel by Ulster in Lotus pattern

Teal and orangey crimson, my current favour colour combo! Vintage Australian linen tea towel
(over-printed with Greetings from Tuncurry)

Lovely open weave cotton with a pattern of Camellias (?) growing up trellis.
xoClair


No comments:

Post a Comment