Friday, July 4, 2014

Something different...

Lately I have been obsessed with Russian designs (again). This time with posters and graphic design used on advertisements, especially those on vintage matchbox labels and stamps. These pieces are available on eBay for just a few dollars, and are lots of fun to collect.

I have been busily collecting mid-century graphics on ephemera such as these, and boy is it addictive!
The simple, bold and somewhat abstracted designs are just perfect for transferring to quilt design.
I have also been wanting to appliqué text to quilts for a while and this project is the perfect opportunity to give that a go!

Mid-Century Soviet Russian Matchbox Labels, these are a collection of folk toys
My choice for transfer to quilt design - I think the word means dolls,
anyone know?
sketch up of how to piece the quilt
Applying applique 
the finished block with chain stitched faces


Well, it is by no means perfect but I really enjoyed making this block and am keen to start some more to eventually sew together into a quilt. Have you ever designed a quilt around an object of ephemera?
Do tell me about it, I'd love to hear!
xoClair

2 comments: