Friday, July 25, 2014

National Costumes

I've always had a bit of a 'thing' for folk costumes, particularly those from European countries.
There's something about the unrestrained use of colour and pattern I find appealing.
My dear Ms. Prue brought me a vintage book to see that she knew I would like: National Costumes - designed by LePage-Medvey and published in 1939.
The book is a portfolio of colour plates of illustrations of ethnic costume from Austria, Hungary, Poland and Czechoslovakia.
Because the printed illustrations have spent most of their 75 years within the closed pages of a book, they were in extraordinarily good condition and the colours!! The colours are as bright as the day they were printed and just make me drool!

The subjects all happen to have very rosy cheeks but I guess the fresh country air does that.
It's incredible that in the last 100-150 years so many of these costumes are not seen anymore, at least on people. Wouldn't it be sad if these magnificent clothes were lost to jeans and t-shirts for good one day :(

I love the fact that it was perfectly acceptable for men to wear flowers and lace, there aren't many men brave enough to wear such finery today! The highly starched linen headpieces and neck ruffles that feature in this book are stunning as are the hand made lace aprons and exquisitely embroidered garments.

Here are some of my favourites for your viewing pleasure.
xoClair














No comments:

Post a Comment