Saturday, June 21, 2014

Clouds quilt

I had a little idea spring into my mind the other night, just as I was falling asleep.
In the past when things have come into my thoughts at that time of night I've thought to myself "I should really write this down, but I'm solo comfy and warm I don't want to move - I'm sure I will remember it in the morning!"
Of course, I never do. So now I keep a pencil and paper in my bedside drawer and I turn the light on and write it down, even if I risk waking hubby and lose that beautiful moment of comfort.

This is my rendering of the idea I had the other night, a revision of the scrawl made at the moment of inspiration:


I bought these FQs at my local quilting shop last week and have been pondering what to do with them. I broke my rule in buying them, as I had decided to not buy any more fabric until I use up some of the ridiculous stash I already have. But just look at those colours!!! How could I have resisted??

I have been slightly fixated on Russian Film posters from the 1960s (I can hear my friends snorting my use of the word slightly) and the bold colours and halftone shading used in them. I really want to incorporate some big ol' halftone dots into this design.



As you can see from the images above, the clouds are made up of dots but when you zoom in,the colours completely change from being tones of green blue and yellow to being process colours. 

The plan is to have Spoonflower print up some enlarged halftone dot fabric for me to use on the appliqué clouds. I'm thinking about using their linen-cotton canvas or their new ultra suede and leaving raw edges on the clouds, what do you think?

xoClair

No comments:

Post a Comment