Thursday, February 20, 2014

From Russia with Love (& Tractors) Quilt!

I mentioned this quilt in a previous blog post and spoke about the inspiration behind it here.
The quilt is now quilted (Thanks to Jeannette at The Quilting Platypus) in a simple modern wavy line pattern, binding hand finished and label sewn on!

I was able to use it on my bed for night and then it was begged off me by a persistent 5 year old, and has stayed on his bed ever since. It rather swamps his single bed...oh well, at least he likes it!
Perhaps I'll get it back when I make the next one and someone takes a fancy to it.

Turkish Crush quilt with fabrics by Bee & Lotus 
As I mentioned in the last post about it, the quilt design is Turkish Crush by Kathy Doughty which can be found in her wonderful book Making Quilts. I made some minor alterations and of course used different fabric, in fact my own fabric design collection "From Russia with Love (and Tractors)" that is available exclusively at my spoonflower shop.

I also hand-dyed some fabric an indigo colour and used Anna Maria Horner's Postage Due fabric in Toast for the back of the quilt.
As the front has quite a lot going on, I left the back of the quilt quite plain but added a corner of indigo and flying geese blocks to create a pretty turnover. I used the indigo fabric for the binding too, except on that turnover corner (top right) where I used the AMH postage due fabric for contrast.













My favourite aspects of Kathy Doughty's quilt design are the use of varied whites, off-whites and greys for the white areas of the quilt and the creation of purposely wonky flying geese and diamond blocks.
This adds a beautiful feel to the quilt that gives it the look of something you would find in a antique stall at a Turkish bazaar.

This quilt is definitely a keeper and I look forward to my grandchildren snuggling into it with me when I'm old and grey.

xoClair

PS. I now have a mild obsession with mustard yellow paired with purple!

4 comments:

  1. I stumbled across this quilt via pinterest... I am beyond in love with the fabric line you designed. The little tractors are amazingly beautiful. I love all things cultural and this quilt blew me away. And, you are so right, the slightly "off" of the geese absolutely make this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. What a beautiful comment to make, you have made made week :) I'm so glad you connect with my work. Thank you for making time to let me know! xoClair

    ReplyDelete
  3. err, I mean made my week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome!
    Everything about this quilt is just amazing. It really speaks to me. :) Specifically it's saying "start saving up so you can buy the fabric." Lol

    ReplyDelete