Thursday, January 16, 2014

It's getting hot in here

It's so strange to know that on the other side of the world so many of you are experiencing the worst winter in many decades. We see images on our screens here of firefighters hosing down burning buildings and the water turning to ice almost immediately, snow as deep as houses, the destruction caused by ice storms. And here I am sitting in a darkened room, curtains drawn to shut out the blazing sun and 40 degrees Celsius (104 Fahrenheit) temperature that it brings.
It is hard to do anything in this heat, thank goodness for DVD's (for the kids) and Pinterest (for me)!

I'm working on a new fabric collection Midnight Sun right now, just waiting for the printed swatches to arrive.
My mind has been in the far north of the world for the past few months, places like Sweden, Norway, Finland, Karelia, Russia (again!) and Iceland.

My darkened studio space with Fjordlands_winter from new collection Midnight Sun

Perhaps it's because of the heat here that I'm drawn to these snowy climes, or perhaps I am anticipating a new trend in Scandinavian patterns that I think will be hitting in 2014.
Either way, it has been wonderful to research the history, geography and cultures of these regions. Collecting information and images to inspire a collection is probably my favourite part of the design process, and definitely the easiest! If you are interested you can see some of my research resources on my Pinterest board Midnight Sun.

Take a look at my designs at my Spoonflower shop too, they are not all finalised yet and will be made available for sale as I am satisfied with the printed results.
I'm always keen to have feedback about the designs so please do get in touch and let me know what you think.

xoClair

No comments:

Post a Comment