Friday, January 24, 2014

Fabric Finds - Faux Russian

This week my find is actually my MiL's find that she kindly gifted to me, not that she had much choice really after my reaction to seeing it!

It is approximately 2 metres (2 yards) of vintage printed cotton in black, brown and hot pink. There is no information on the selvage so it is most likely pre 90's or was produced on the cheap.

Awesome vintage cotton with scenes of 18th Century Russia

The Cyrillic script is not quite Russian, I'm sure it's supposed to be but there are strokes missing from some of the characters so we can assume it was not made in Russia. The imagery however, is reasonably authentic and shows scenes of horse and carts/sleighs being driven past onion domed churches and grand gates. The little figures driving the vehicles are dressed in what my MiL tells me are very historically accurate costumes that have a distinctively Eastern look. There is also a glimpse of a Tricorn hat worn by one of the passengers that suggests the scenes are 18th Century.

I have no idea what I'll be doing with this lovely find, any sugesstions?

 xoClair

1 comment:

  1. Oooooohhhh, more cultural awesomeness. mwybe a pattern that will have some larger blocks so you can feature that pattern.

    ReplyDelete