Thursday, July 25, 2013

Fabric finds

I found this piece of fabric at my local op shop (thrift store) about 8 years ago.
It's a screen printed piece from 1974 called China Sea.

From the small amount of research I've done on the company, they were producing fabrics from 1933 into the late 1970s and possibly later.

The China Sea print is in a deep indigo blue & muted orange colours screen printed onto a heavy weight cotton canvas. I'm thinking about using it to upholster a kneel chair I have, should be just enough fabric me thinks.

"China Sea" screen print by S M Hexter 1974

detail of "China Sea" fabric
 I had a look for more S M Hexter fabrics and found these ones on Ebay, not quite as nice as "China Sea but interesting none the less and very 1970s.

A Batik inspired print from S M Hexter 1977

Cute forest print from S M Hexter 

No comments:

Post a Comment