Saturday, July 6, 2013

Bedside Table: The Sewing Machine Attachment Handbook

On my last trip to my local library (I LOVE my library!) I came across this unassuming book titled The Sewing Machine Attachment Handbook written by Charlene Phillips.

Seeing as I'm doing a spot of self-education in the field of sewing, quilting and general craft loveliness, I grabbed it and stuffed it into my already overfilled bag of literary goodness.

The Sewing Machine Attachment Handbook by Charlene Phillips

Well, I thought it was going to be a dry and boring read. How wrong I was! I have now officially caught the sewing machine attachments bug! After reading the book I ran downstairs to my vintage Husqvarna and had a good close look at the odd little bits and pieces that came with it.
I'd always dismissed them as being bits from other machines or not quite complete foots (feet?), however when my wonderful Father-in-law (who just happens to be a mechanical master at fixing any machine ever made!) came around a few weeks ago he retrieved the free-motion quilting foot, bent it back into its correct shape (oops!) and showed me how to set the machine up.

Now, with the help of this book I have identified another few items from my slightly more familiar collection of odds and sods that I will be using as soon as I can. It is amazing to think that these little things have been with me all along and I had no idea how much they can help in creating wonderful textiles!

Do you have any weird and wonderful attachments that you don't quite know how to use?

2 comments:

  1. This book looks great, I'll have to see if I can track down a copy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's great! I imagine that those frill sewing attachments would be really useful for some of the retro designs you create.

      Delete