Friday, June 21, 2013

Threads that bind us: patchwork waistcoat

I'm not usually overly sentimental when it comes to "stuff".
I like to enjoy and use "stuff" and then let it go into the world and on to a new appreciative owner.
There are a few items of clothing that I have kept over the years, and this is one of them.

This tiny patchwork waistcoat was sewn by my mother when she was in her late 20's in Great Britain for her first child, my big brother.
She used fabric gathered from old clothes and stitched it together on an old treadle machine in a very cold apartment in 1970's Edinburgh.
Mum has always loved textiles and has always had a fantastic eye for colour. She introduced me to the work (knitting at that time) of Kaffe Fassett when I was about 10.

Here is the creation and I have also included a pic of my sweet little boy who wore it last for a circus party a few years ago.

I hope it is used by my grandchildren too some day.

The patchwork waistcoat Circa 1972

detail of fabrics used on the waistcoat

My sweet little boy in clown mode complete with fairy floss whiskers

Have a great weekend all!
xoClair

No comments:

Post a Comment