Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Spoonflower Design Challenge: Paisley

This week the lovely people at Spoonflower have chosen Paisley as the subject of the weekly design competition. For those of you who aren’t familiar, the paisley pattern is made using a teardrop shaped motif. The pattern is named after a small weaving town in Scotland, and so I set my sights to my heartland to begin this design.

Dreaming of Scotland Paisley - Textile design by Bee & Lotus

In 2006 I was lucky enough to return to Scotland for the first time since emigrating to Australia with my family at age 2. I had spent the previous two decades dreaming of what I considered to be my true homeland, but I was soon to discover that Scotland is not my homeland, Australia is. Scotland will always be my heartland and will always be the land that I return to in my dreams (and occasionally in life too!).


I have included in my design “Dreaming of Scotland Paisley” places that I visited and loved and peculiar constructions that captured my imagination.


Detail of Dreaming of Scotland Paisley in white cloud colourway

See if you can spot all of these:

Museum of Scotland
Caerlaverock castle
The Dumfries Rhino (a true symbol of democracy!)
Murray Monument
Wigtown garden
Wanlockhead Miners’ library
Edinburgh Castle
Rosslyn Chapel
Forth rail bridge
Bathgate Academy
Arthur's Seat & Salisbury Crags
St. Anthony’s chapel ruins
Falkirk Wheel (an engineering marvel!)
Pictish stones
Scott monument
Calton Hill
Highland Coo
Seal statue on Arran
Benmore Botanical gardens
Portrack gardens


Dreaming of Scotland Paisley border textile design
in evening & night colourways



I am hoping to go back in a few years and take the children, but for now I will continue to dream of what I consider to be my heartland, but no longer my home.

This is my country,
The land that begat me.
These windy spaces
are surely my own.
And those who toil here
In the sweat of their faces
Are flesh of my flesh,
And bone of my bone.

- Sir Alexander Gray

xoClair

5 comments:

  1. I love it Clair! You are so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kat! It's always it bit daunting when you've made a design that appeals to yourself but you're not sure if anyone else will like it. Thanks for letting me know you like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, this is amazing! I love all the detail and thought that went into this. Beautiful work! I was out this morning in the gray and mist and was trying to cheer myself up by imagining I was in Scotland ;) what a magical place!~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Magical indeed! I just love it when its gloomy and grey (which is hardly ever here!), I think it must be my Scottish blood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Contest update:
    This design ranked 63 out of 170 entries, with 194 votes. Thanks to everyone who voted for my design!

    ReplyDelete